I’ve been making this quite a bit recently and had lots of very complimentary comments about it. If you like gingerbread at all, just try it out, you’ll love it. Makes a lovely, moist gingerbread loaf, very easy to do.
175g Unsalted butter
200g soft brown sugar (can use caster)
3 tablespoons golden syrup
250g plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (can use allspice here)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x10cm loaf tin.
- In a small saucepan, melt the the butter, and add the sugar, golden syrup and milk. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the boiled mixture until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Turn down the oven to 160°C / Gas 2 1/2 and bake for one hour or until the top of the loaf springs back when lightly touched.